Kung-fu superstar Jackie Chan turned 63 last Thursday. Up above is his battle against Benny “the Jet” Urquidez from Wheels on Meals (1984), one of the best fight scenes ever.
Your dump for the week ending Sun. April 10, 2011:
- Las Vegas-based MMA trainer Shawn Tompkins used to live in a tiny town just outside of London, Ontario. The London Free Press talks to the renowned coach and ex-Xtreme Couture member to see how he made it in the big leagues. [The London Free Press]
- As a nerd in high school, this anonymous writer was tormented by bullies. Then his tough-guy father told him to fight back. Here’s how he took that bit of advice in the right direction and used it to change his approach to life. [Men’s Health Dads]
- National Geographic turns its amazing eye towards the famous Shaolin Temple for a look at how the ancient tradition is finding its way in the changed and changing world of martial arts. Give it a click, if even just for the great photos. [National Geographic]
- The title of “How to Be a D—” isn’t very family friendly, but this tongue-in-cheek list ofthings to NOT do when you’re rolling with your Jiu-Jitsu class is nonetheless funny and true. How many of these BJJ faux pas are you guilty of? [The Gentle Art]
- Kombat’s Michelle Sturino was on the scene covering Ontario’s first couple of MMA events, MMA: The Reckoning and MFC 29, for Ontario MMA Alliance. Check out all her interview clips. [OntarioMMAalliance]
Thanks to Kombat’s Twitterstream for swapping resources. Be sure to follow us@KombatArts!