Homemade Graham Crackers for After School or in Lunches
Well it’s that time of year again, the kids go back to school and while it might be great to see them go, there is also many things to juggle. On that list for the health conscious parent is packing healthily, nut free snacks that your kids will eat. With that in mind we though you would enjoy this easy recipe for homage graham crackers. There’s not much to them, but by using sprouted whole wheat you can up the nutritional value, and pair it with some fruit and cheese for a balanced snack. Let’s face it though, most of the time with kids it’s about presentation, so we couldn’t help making this patch into some Ninjas! Happy baking!
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour or sprouted whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of butter (from grass fed cows for more nutrition)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp milk
- icing sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Place the dry ingredients into a food processor and mix for a moment, just to blend ingredients.
2. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the food processor along with the honey, milk, and molasses. Blend until crumbs form and then large clumps.
3. Turn dough out onto a non-stick surface and work into a large ball. Flatten some with the palm of your hand.
4. Cover in plastic wrap and roll the dough out under the plastic wrap and roll dough out under plastic wrap. Keeping plastic wrap on top will keep the dough from cracking (some cracks may still form around the edges).
5. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the crackers. Use a toothpick to poke 4 holes in each cracker.
6. Place the crackers on a lined cookie sheet, and chill for 30 minutes (don’t cheat). Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack for cooling. At this point you can dust with icing sugar for a little added sweetness
Ninja Cookie Cutters
For the cookie cutters I used, you can look on amazon.ca, they are made by a company called Fred & Friends.